Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Glenn Beck vs. Harry Reid

____________________

   “How can he even be a member of the Church?”
   “He’s a crook and–mark my words–he will go inactive some day.”
   “I am appalled that he is a Mormon.”

   "He will lose popularity and then he will leave the Church because he no longer will see a need for it.”

Which of these statements were made by a sophomoric college student? Which was made by someone near retirement who worked for the Church his whole life? Which of these did I hear at Church? In an email? At the in-laws? At the Bishop’s storehouse? Which of these statements was said about Harry Reid and which was said about Glenn Beck?

Answer: all of the above, in every combination. It’s kind of a bummer, don’t you think? That making these off-handed comments is so common in Zion? And to spew this kind of venom about a couple of converts seems… I don’t know, doubly arrogant and mean.

Why is it that, when it comes to public characters like Reid and Beck, we are so quick to justify our backbiting and gossip? I guess, if they can’t take the heat, they shouldn’t be in the business, right? Well, they are in that business 24-7, so they obviously can stand the heat. What concerns me is that we cannot stand them! Oh, it’s not that we can’t stand listening to them. Because neither side seems to do that!

On the contrary, the way Reid and Beck are treated reminds me, once again, of how too many critics treat The Book of Mormon, as described by a Catholic theologian:

The Book of Mormon has not been universally considered by its critics as one of those books that must be read in order to have an opinion of it. [Source: The Mormons by Thomas F. O’Dea (University of Chicago Press, 1957), pg 26]
So it is with both Glenn Beck and Harry Reid.
Back in 2009, I listened to several hours of the audio version of An Inconvenient Book by Glenn Beck. This was actually one of my first exposures to Beck. My first impression was that he was just hilarious. In fact, I can honestly say that I never took Glenn Beck seriously until I discovered that he was so funny.
But, humor aside, I was surprised at how little he talked of politics. In fact, I was certain that even the most die-hard liberal member of the Church would agree with him on everything he said, but only as long as they didn't know it was him talking. He didn't bring up politics at all in the parts that I listened to (perhaps he does elsewhere).

The Good FightHaving learned quite a bit about Harry Reid lately, including reading much his biography The Good Fight, I can testify that even though most conservatives in the Church cannot imagine how Reid could be LDS, they are totally unaware that he is pro-life, pro-gun and pro-death penalty!
At the end of the day, I have this to say about Glenn Beck and Harry Reid: Mormon Democrats don't listen to un-spliced Glenn Beck and Republican Mormon's don't know a thing about Harry Reid. But, at least, we are all united in our frustration with Evangelical anti-Mormons for their willful ignorance!

No comments:

Post a Comment